The details of the Australian COVID-19 tracing app are not yet available. However, the following description gathered from a number of internet postings is the most likely way it will work.
- First up you must install the COVID-19 tracing app on your phone. The app will ensure Bluetooth is on permanently.
- The app on your phone will use Bluetooth to see what other Bluetooth devices are nearby.
- It will use the Bluetooth signal strength of the other devices to estimate how far away they are.
- If another Bluetooth device has been within about 1.5 metres for 15 minutes, and the other phone also has the COVID-19 app installed, then the two apps will exchange their phone numbers and save them securely on each phone.
- This process occurs silently without either phone owner knowing it’s happening, and neither phone owner can see the phone numbers of other phones.
- If you test positive to COVID-19, those people you’ve been in close contact with will be contacted by health professionals.
- My guess is that those people will be offered immediate testing for COVID-19.
And that’s it. As apps go it’s about as simple as it gets. And of course the app does not need to know your location at any time.